Parents as Partners - At all Levels
Our distinctive approach to education encourages involvement!
Parent Corner can be found in the Library with lounge chairs and coffee available to parents and carers. Parents are always welcome to spend time in the parent corner following our assemblies each week. From Term 2 2016, a parent group will also meet on a Tuesday in the Parent Corner. Please contact the college office for current details.
We believe parents are the primary educators of children and we want to help you in this vital role. Parents are welcome to come into classrooms and assist with a wide range of experiences. This indicates to your child that you are interested in his/her learning, as well as providing help to our teachers.
We appreciate that many parents work, so we offer opportunities outside of "work hours" for you to be involved. We also find many parents are able to attend special events if they are given notice. We want you to share your child's years at school and see them gradually develop into all God wants them to be.
Parent - Teacher Communication
We are a community in which teachers, students and parents all play vital roles. Community is built up through active communication. We seek to promote this communication through:
- Parent Infomation nights at the beginning of the year
- Interim Reports Middle School Term 1 & "Knowing Me Knowing You" Conversations with the teachers in Term 1 by online bookings for interviews
- Comprehensive written reports Terms 2 and 3 and follow-up interviews
- Term 4 Student led conferences
- Parents being encouraged to visit classrooms and chat informally with teachers
- An Open Door policy with the Principal
- Various College functions throughout the year
Araluen Christian College Parent Council
- In collaboration with the Principal and Teacher representative, the Parent Council is responsible for being the 'moral guardians' of the vision of our Christian College. The college council has delegated authority from the NT Christian Schools Board and is responsible for delegated matters of governance. The ACC council is key in developing the Self Improvement Renewal Framwork (our strategic plan) and also develop various local policies to guide the College.
- It is comprised of up to 8 elected parent members, all of whom are members of NT Christian Schools, active in local church communities and strongly support and are able to agree with NT Christian Schools statement of Biblical Truths.
- The council supports the Principal and staff in their various roles in the College by prayer and collegial support.
Araluen Christian College is part of a national network of Christian Schools and Colleges throughout Australia. Known as Christian Education National – CEN – this body is our voice at Government level when it comes to funding and issues of equity, and puts forward our perspective in decision-making which affects education and in particular, the education of students in Christian Colleges. We are also a member school of the NT Christian Schools.
Parents can ....
- become members of NT Christian Schools by subscribing to the biblical basis statement
- complete a membership application - available from the college office
- be elected to the Parent Council by subscribing to the biblical basis statement, offering their services as a Council member and standing for election.
- contribute to the direction and policy of the College by communicating with the Parent Council.
- communicate openly with the Principal on all matters of College policy and operation
- communicate with their children's teachers regarding day to day class matters and their child's happiness and progress.
- use their expertise to contribute to the College's programs
- contribute to College community events by helping out or just attending.
- assist in their own time with grounds care, classroom help, working bees, covering books, assisting with Canteen, additional cleaning, helping in the Library and praying for the College, the staff, College families and students.
- let others know all the advantages of having children at Araluen Christian College!